Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Down Under!

Hi, we live in a hotel!!  Sounds fun, right! Well you are right it is awesome! Someone comes in everyday and takes out our *rubbish, changes our sheets, gives us new clean towels, and fluffs our pillows!  However, hotel life can get pretty boring! So to keep busy I highly recommend some of the following options.

Races in the halls! I'm sure this is not bothersome to anyone!
 
Buy your kids expensive toys to keep them entertained!  Maybe next time I won't let him choose one that makes noise! 
And of course the lovely iPads! Don't leave home with out them!

 
Lots and lots of playing UNO.  Just a side note…the UNO cards were $9 at the local grocery store! Wowsa!
 
Lastly, we end our night with a photo shoot!

Here is the lovely view from our balcony hotel room. We are about 20 minutes east of the city. 

I need to be better about taking my camera out with me during the day so you can see more of the suburbs. Boston can not get over that they have no mountains.  He just keeps saying, "but Mom why do they not have mountains!!!"  He also is so sad that we will have no snow come Christmas.  Me on the other hand is pretty pumped about it!  I am sure on Christmas and stuff it will be so odd and I will hate it!
The kids started school today and they really liked it.  It is very different than at home.  Lillie is in *prep school.  There are about 20 kids in her class.  However, they have 3 teachers.  She goes all day which is different than at home as well.  Which I picked her up from class her teacher told me that she was smothered all day and the kids loved listening to her talk because she had an accent!  She made lots of new mates! Boston, is in grade 1.  However, they do grades 1 and 2 together but they have 4 or so teachers and about 35 kids total in both grades.  They do more of groups of 3 and 4 at a time for main subjects like literacy, math, and science.  For things like art, *music, and swimming they go as a group.  He met some new friends as well.  He is pretty excited about the uniforms that they get to wear.  He wore his jacket all day with pride!  He also asked if when he come home in two years if he could bring it home with him! :)

So to my mothers out there!  We are alive.  I would not go as far as to say we are LOVING it!  I think each day will get easier and easier.  I have now not only driven but today I drove all by myself!  It is little things like that that make me realize not only CAN I do hard things but that i AM doing hard things.  However, as cheesy as it sounds I feel the Lord looking out for us.  Just when I want to give up a song comes on the radio that reminds me of something good from home.  Or, I get an e-mail or someone face times us.


We had church on Sunday because we are a day ahead of  the states.  Church was really good.  We are in the Wantirna South ward.  We meet at a pretty big meeting house and directly behind the church is the Melbourne Temple.  That was really neat for the kids to see.  The temple is so beautiful.  The Bishop invited us over for dinner.  We had spaghetti with meat (*lamb) balls.  Yummy, right?!  The family was so nice and sweet.  We really felt very welcome by his family.  My favorite part is probably that his oldest daughter like to babysit! Wahoo!!!  Anyway, I know this post was long but I just wanted to fill everyone in on whats going on down under!

Our daily Aussie Slang
*rubbish:  trash
*Prep School is just like kindergarten just a different name for it
*The music classes are awesome here.  Boston can either start learning piano, guitar, or drums!   
*lamb- the lamb here is actually quite good!

18 comments:

Unknown said...

First of all I love that Paxton's toy is a motorcycle and Spider-Man. Sure do miss that kid! In your video today Jaren didn't get it and kept saying I want to talk to him. Second you can do hard things and you have shown me so can I. Lastly tell Boston to go with the guitar lessons. Not only will he be able to make the ladies swoon but then we can all be rock stars together! Love ya!

Unknown said...

Hi Augers, thanks so much for keeping us all informed with all the pictures! I can't believe how big Paxton looks! Boston and Lillie look so cute in their uniforms! Keep the pictures coming, love you tons!

Unknown said...

I am so proud of you. Of course you have a good attitude about everything. You always have. What do you do while the kids are in school? Have you made any mates? By the way Paxton is a cutie. Thanks for the blog I love learning new things right along with you :). It is so cool that Boston gets to have music lessons. Love ya.

Cari said...

Thanks for the updates, I love hearing about all the differences, although it makes Rory feel very jealous about the class sizes with multiple teachers!!! I am glad that the kids liked school and that you are doing good. We are all thinking about you guys and can't wait to hear more fun adventure stories!!

shannon said...

So glad for your updates! You are so strong, and honestly, I'm so jealous of your adventure. Knowing you'll be home in 2 years, it's kinda like you're on a mission - but you get to kiss and snuggle boys, and have your kids with you!

Miss you and our crazy texts! Much love! XOXO

Katie said...

Glad to hear you're making it, Kate. I knew you would be fine. I am actually surprised to hear that you haven't sat outside your hotel door yelling, "Wanna meet me?" to passers by. :) Thanks for the update. Keep us posted! Loves.

Heather said...

I am glad to hear that you are doing ok, & the kids,like school. That is so cute they think lillie has an accent! I am so proud of you! Driving on the other side sounds hard! your bishop sounds awesome! & that is cool your church is by the temple!! Keep the pictures coming I love seeing them & hearing how your doing! Xoxo

Unknown said...

Wow Katie, It is good to hear you are all doing well. I know the people in your ward will love you and your family just as much as we all do, and speaking from experience 2 years goes by in a big hurry so do all the things you want to do while you are there and send us lots of updates so we can be super jealous of this great time in your life. Love ya, Leslie

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love hearing about all of your "adventures". Keep them coming! ~Luv ya! Debi

Robinson's said...

Holy Cow yes you can do hard things, your such a inspiration! It's fun to read and see what it's like on the other side of the world. Keep the updates coming!
Loves

The Daley Fam said...

Wow, you seriously have the best attitude. I don't know why but I cry when I read your posts. Weird, right? I can't imagine being in such a foreign place, doing new things by myself, but you are the perfect, optimistic girl for it. You go girl! Your kids are SO dang cute! I love all the pictures. Keep them coming!

Sarah Ward said...

This made my day! Half way around the world and you still entertain and inspire us!!

Kiera's Blog said...

Whoo. Go Katie cant wait to see and talk to u again we all love and miss you my little friend that was in Boston's class keeps asking me where he is

Kiera's Blog said...

Whoo. Go Katie cant wait to see and talk to u again we all love and miss you my little friend that was in Boston's class keeps asking me where he is

MJ said...

What a difficult and wonderful adventure. You have a great attitude and you can make friends anywhere. You'll do great! Hang in there through the first few months. I'm sure you'll get into a new groove. Go Katie! ;)

Jeff. Nikki. Keizya. Reila. said...

See...and I don't think you rambled enough :) I love hearing how you guys are doing, it's so different and exciting...for us ;) Hang in there. Your kids will be better for the great adventure you're giving them, and you and Jared will be closer than ever ;) So glad you are doing well and finding new things to conquer every day. I would be scared to drive so way to go on that Kate!!! I'm super proud of you and happy for you guys...can't believe you're really there! ahhh! Keep posting, we love hearing from you :)

Ginnie said...

Sounds like your kids are all going to be smarter than our kids...and probably even me. I love hearing the details of your new life!

Ginnie said...

Sounds like your kids are all going to be smarter than our kids...and probably even me. I love hearing the details of your new life!