Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Good on ya, Mate!

Well it is true! We have survived another week down under.  Things are going very well for us.  We get to move into our house in a weeks time (Aussie talk)!  Which will be wonderful!  We also got an e-mail from the company that is shipping our stuff from the U.S. and it is actually set to arrive the day we move into our house!  How amazing will that be if it actually works out.  Jared said the shipment could still get held up in customs but at least it will be Australia!  We really miss our bed!  So keep your fingers crossed for that!  

This past week went by pretty good.  Both kids have been accepted into their new school exceptionally well.  They have an assembly every Friday, put on by Grade 5 and 6.  Awards are given out and such.  Boston was called on stage to receive an award.  It says OUTSTANDING presented to Boston Auger for his excellent social skills and for fitting into L2A so quickly!  He was so proud when he came out to the car.  I was most worried about him when we left home because that kid thrives for friends, cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, teachers, neighbors!  Anything with a face...he loves.  But, he never ceases to amaze me fitting in so quickly has truly made us feel blessed.  Lillie is doing well in school as well.  Her and Boston have both been invited to birthdays already and they think that is awesome as well! 

I will admit that I had a bit of a slump on Friday.  It was the weekend and well lets face it from Friday to Sunday we were with friends and family when we lived at home.  So Friday hit and it was a hard day!  I cried a little and then put on my big girl panties and got over it.  Not going to do me or my family any good if I turn into a big waaa waa! On a good note the weather was good and so the kids were able to play outside and go to parks.  We took the kids to see Hotel Transylvania and it was so super cute.  When it was over Paxton asked me if I could start it again! 

The highlight of our weekend was Sunday.  We got another invitation from a sweet family in our ward to come for dinner.  Me and Jared were excited to go for some adult interaction and the kids were excited to play with kids.  It is pretty sad when Paxton has to ask to play on grass!! Ha! We had such a good time at dinner. We probably over stayed our welcome but we loved every minute of it.  Everyone in Australia has been so nice and sincere with us every where we go.  

I took the camera out today so you could live vicariously through us!  Don't get to jealous! 

Here is the 20 minute drive to the kids school.  It is going to be about a 3-5 minute drive once we into our house. It is literally a straight shot.  It is not an interstate or anything but more like State Street.  Lots of red lights with strip malls, food places, etc.
 


We have to pass this same building like 100 times a day everywhere we go.  Every time we pass it Paxton yells, "there's Grandpas work!!"  Apparently this shopping center looks like the Novell building off Provo Towne Center exit!  Either that or Grandpa Kevin moved to Australia and didn't tell anyone but Paxton!
 


Stop Lights.  Rarely is a stop light hung above the intersection like at home.  They have lots of smaller ones on the sides of the road. 

Also, above you will see tram rails.  While driving not only do you have to look out for cars you have to watch for trams! Stressful!
I have yet to see a STOP sign since I have been here.  Just lots and lots of round-a-bouts.  And lots of these "yield" signs! ;)

Also, they do kmh.  So when you see signs like this...don't get too excited.  We really are not going that fast!
Some of you have been wondering about gas prices.  Well here you go…be my guest and figure that out will you.  That is done in liters!  If you figure it out don't tell me! I like to think that price is by the gallon!
 

Our big adventure after the kids got out of school today was trying to find a car, or a van, or as Australians would say, a people mover!  Let me tell you how fun car shopping is with three very rowdy kids!! Not that fun!  Played lots of games and lots of iPads to keep them entertained. Not to mention that we are potty training Pax (this is for another post)!  I will have you know he full on peed his pants twice.  Well and a kind of half of another time.  Which sounds like it might be an epic fail and we should give up!!!  BUT, we had 7 yes people 7 successful potty stops!  So we are not giving up! Nope! Not today!  :) Any who....

We drove by places that were not so good….
 


Houses that looked like this…
 


Paxton managed to find Aunt Ashlie!  She too either moved to Australia without telling us or else someone else has a car like hers even though Paxton was pretty sure it was her in there!
 


When all was said and done we had 3 kids that looked like this!! I believe Lillie is the only one showing every ones true feelings (imagine that)!!

And 2 parents that looked like this!

I must have been really mad...look at my fist! Haha!


Aussie Slang Guide:
People Mover:  That is a van here.  If you ask for a van they usually think you want a huge utility van!
Lamb: It is eaten very often here.  Surprising, it is good.  They offer lamb burgers at McD's!
Tiggy: The kids now play "tiggy" at school as opposed to tag!
Serviette: Napkin
Tomato Sauce: Ketchup
Toilet:  It is not a bathroom, restroom, or potty.  It is a TOILET!
Mates: Friend
Good on ya, Mate: Instead of saying good job! You would most likely hear. good on ya!  

Until next time!  Cheers Mate! XOXO

10 comments:

Ginnie said...

I would like to hear more about this sexy land. Is it a land where sexy people go? Or, perhaps, the land itself is sexy...either way, I think you need to do some research. Love you and miss you as always!

Unknown said...

Yea!!! I love it! Katie you are doing a really good job. I am so proud of you. I knew it. Your post is so entertaining. :) you are going to make many friends anddddd you will be an influence for good to many. I just know it. I love the pics I will be anxious every week to hear from you. Good on ya mate. ( yes, Alex said that many times in McLoeds Daughters. I had forgotten ) does anyone call their trucks Utes? How far is it to the country? Can't wait to see that. Love you guys. Keep those big girl panties on. You are doing hard things. Miss you

Jamie Smith said...

I love this Katie!!! It is so fun hearing about your adventures. I can't believe Paxton decided to be potty trained right now. You're amazing!! So did you find a people mover? I am so proud of Boston, good for him:) Love all you guys! Keep the posts coming.

Jeff and Brandi said...

Love this post! You are a crack up :) I bet you can't wait to get settled in your house and start meeting the neighbors. I too want to hear more about this "sexy land" hahaha

Heather said...

I love your posts! They make my day I love all the pictures and your stories. You make my life here in boring Salem more interesting! I wish I was there. I want to see pictures of EVERYTHING!!! lol. love you and the kids! You are an amazing person Katie. xoxox

Meagan said...

It's so fun to read about your "adventure", ha ha. I love the Aussie translations. I read your posts to Tyler and he just laughs (he still says "Good on ya, mate" all the time). Brings back memories for him! Tyler LOVES lamb. He also loves Tim Tams (he says the Australian Tim Tams are way better than the knock offs you find around here). So, get yourself some Tim Tams and all will be right with the world (at least for a few minutes, lol).

Keep posting. It's so fun to read!

joann auger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
joann auger said...

Love this post!!! Keep it coming!! Sounds like all is going pretty good. Happy about the move and your stuff getting to Australia. Good luck while Jared is away!! You are one brave lady!!! Miss you tons. Give the kids a big hug for me. Love Ya Mom

Robinson's said...

Sounds like Boston is just like his mommy. You guys truly have a talent. It's so fun to read your blog so thanks for the updates!

Chelsie & Ryan said...

i LOVE everything about these posts! it's been so fun to see your adventures :) love you guys!!